Sunday, September 19, 2010

Taking Your Advice - Princes' Islands

View from the ferry as we approach one of the islands.
Reading over "A Kid's Guide to Istanbul" I saw that Princes' Islands was listed as being a green, quiet, car-less place.  After a few days in the hustle and bustle of Istanbul I was definitely ready for some relaxing.  The hour and a half ferry ride out onto the Marmara Sea was beautiful.  Making a stop at some of the islands along the way the ferry eventually got to my destination, the largest island of the nine, Büyükada.  It is true what they say about the islands, they are really car-free zones.  There are only three ways of getting around.  You can take a horse and buggy, ride a bike or you can always just walk.  I  decided to rent a bike and pedaled my way around the island in the warm sunshine until I found a tiny hidden beach to relax on.  So after swimming in the Marmara Sea, looking at some beautiful old buildings and eating a great "pide" (aka. Turkish pizza), I was ready to catch the ferry home.  All in time to see the sun setting over the "Old City" of Istanbul.  What a perfect car-free day!  Thank you for making my day extra special by suggesting I try visiting the Princes' Islands.

Sharing the road with horses, you have to watch out for horse poop!

Relaxing on the beach.

The sun setting over Istanbul.


1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails