Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's All Greek to Me

The expression "It's all Greek to me" is an idiom.  When someone uses this phrase  they mean "I don't understand", not that what they are looking at is really Greek.  Do you know any other idioms?  Come on, has the cat got your tongue?  Now that I am in Paros, when I say "It's all Greek to me", I really mean "I don't understand because it is all in Greek".

The Greek language uses the Greek alphabet which is different from our Latin alphabet.  It only has 24 letters, and only some of these letters look similar to their Latin counterpart.  ABCD looks like ABCD, so you can see how that can get confusing for someone who doesn't know how to read Greek.

Here is a sign that I saw today while walking in Paros.


What do you think this sign says?

Well, lucky for me there was a picture next to the word, so I got to use my picture reading skills.  The picture looked like this.



So, after picture reading I went back to the word on the sign and I think it says something like "Fish Shop", or "Fresh fish here!"  I could be wrong (maybe one of my Greek friends can help me here), but at least I tried!

Picture reading sure comes in handy while you are travelling and learning how to read in a new language.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails