Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Egyptian Ferrari

Life in Luxor is much more relaxed then life in Cairo.  Tourism is the main industry in Luxor, so most of the locals make a living by either selling you something or offering you a service.  I would like to introduce you to one of these locals, Ali. 
An Egyptian Ferrari powered by the beautiful Cinderella.
While waiting for the bus Ali approached me and offered me a ride in his “Egyptian Ferrari”.  I politely declined but began talking to Ali about life in Luxor.  He told me about his family, he is married and has two young kids with another on the way.  Unfortunately Ali didn’t get a chance to go to school, he was too busy working trying to make money to support his family when he was younger.  As a boy he would mix in with the tourists talking to them and using his charm to sell assorted souvenirs and “Ferrari rides”, this is how he learned English and four other languages, by spending every day with different tourists. 
Cinderella leading the way to my hotel along the Luxor streets at night.
Ali and his story won me over and I let him take me for a spin on his Ferrari.  He wanted to take me on a grand tour of Luxor, but I felt bad for Cinderella, his horse, who was slowing down because she was hungry, so I asked Ali to take me to my hotel and he did.  So twenty minutes later we arrived at my stop and I said goodbye to Ali and give him some money for the journey.  Then from the carriage I used my favourite form of transportation, my feet, to get me up to my bed for the night.
My driver Ali waiting for his next rider in the dusty Luxor night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails