Friday, October 15, 2010

Like a Kid in a Sweet Shop

I think I have found my favourite place in India, it is Gujrat Sweet Mart in Panjim.  Here you will find nothing but rows and rows of Indian sweets all available for you to munch on.  It was hard picking just one thing to try.  All of the sweets looked delicious.



Most Indian sweets are prepared with the same few ingredients, milk, sugar, butter and different kinds of flours.  These ingredients are cooked or fried separately and then put together in ball or bar form for you to eat.  This makes the sweets different then the cookies that you are used.  Instead of being dry and crunchy most Indian sweets are moist and soft.

Several of the sweets are covered in varakh, a paper made of silver that you can actually eat.  People like varakh because it makes the sweets shine and look extra special.
As a special treat I had a kaju laddu, a tasty cashew ball, and to drink I ordered a lassi, a sweet yogurt drink that helps wash down all the sweetness.  I was tempted by the other sweets on display, but I didn't want to spoil my dinner by eating too many sweets, so I paid the bill (75 cents) and continued to explore the city.
Here are some of the fancier desserts avaiable at Gujrat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails