Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween From Malaysia

I have really been enjoying my time in Kuala Lumpur.  There is so much to do, and so much to see. 

Today I spent the day at Suria KLCC.  No ordinary shopping mall, Suria KLCC has several different shops and activities spread over its five floors.  There is a science centre, several food courts and restaurants, a movie theatre, an art gallery, a medical centre, a stage for performances and an aquarium (take a breath) just to list a few of the things you might see.

Suria KLCC makes the shopping malls in Toronto look tiny.
As you can imagine, exploring Suria KLCC got me hungry for a morning snack, so I decided to stop at Boost Juice Bar for a smoothie.  The girls who work there were very friendly.  They asked me where I was from, and I told them Canada and they then asked me for some help.  They were in the middle of carving jack-o'-lanterns (for the very first time) and needed some help drawing scary faces.  I did my best sketching one that had a jagged mouth and slanted eyebrows.  I handed them my drawing and told them I would be back to see their finished pumpkins.  When I returned both pumpkins were carved, and I have to admit both look quite scary.

I think they should be proud of their scary jack-o'-lanterns.
Halloween isn't a big holiday in Malaysia.  Children don't dress up and go door to door in search for candy, but they might dress up and go to a Halloween party, or head to Suria KLCC in their costume.  If they show up wearing a costume on Halloween at Boost Juice Bar, not only will they get to see two scary jack-o'-lanterns, but they will also get a free juice!  Now that is a treat.

A store in the mall selling Halloween decorations and cards.
Instead of celebrating Halloween, some of the children in Malaysia will be celebrating Deepavali.  Do you remember what happens during Deepavali?  Is it anything like Halloween?

I look forward to hearing all about your Halloween adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails