Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kabuki: Japanese Theatre

I couldn’t leave Japan without spending a day at the National Theatre of Japan.  There I watched some Kabuki, a special kind of Japanese theatre known for its colourful costumes, ornate makeup and exaggerated acting. 
Standing outside of the National Theatre of Japan. I was so excited to watch my first Kabuki performance.
The play I watched was called Kokusenya Kassen (The Battles of Coxinga) and was written by Chikamatsu Monzaemon, the Shakespeare of Japanese theatre.  The play was originally written in 1715 for Bunraku (a puppet performance) but it was later adapted for the Kabuki stage. 
Kabuki is unlike any theatre you will see on a Canadian stage.   The acting is larger than life and the peformers exaggerate every little movement which might seem a bit silly for those not familiar with Kabuki.  The performances are also a lot longer, usually lasting four or five hours.   Another interesting fact about Kabuki is that there are no female actors, all the parts, even the female roles, are played by men.
A statue of a Kabuki actor in the theatre's lobby.  Look at the dramatic makeup and costume. 
Do you think this character is a hero or a villian?
Not anyone can become a Kabuki actor, and usually actors in Kabuki performances come from an acting family (their father and grandfather were Kabuki actors before them).  Take a look at the video below, do you think you would enjoy watching a Kabuki performance?

4 comments:

  1. You look great Mr.P - world travel agrees with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip has been magical. I never expected to learn as much as I have. Everyday is another wonderful adventure with so much to see and so much to learn. It has taught me to always keep my eyes open for the learning opportunities around me, (even when in my hometown). Can't wait to get back and share all my adventures in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off topic, but you look SO handsome. Just saying

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting! Just watched the youtube video. Who knew the japanese were so into drag? lol
    And yes you do look handsome. ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails