Friday, November 19, 2010

The Aloha Shirt (aka. The Hawaiian Shirt)

It should come as no surprise that the first Hawaiian shirt was made in, well, Hawaii.  In the 1930's a Chinese immigrant, Ellery Chun, started making these shirts by sewing brightly coloured pieces of leftover kimono fabric together.  Mr. Chun labelled his creation "aloha shirts" and sold them to visitors.  The popularity of the shirts gradually took off, and they are truly now a symbol of the islands.  Usually covered in patterns like palm trees, the ocean and sunsets, these shirts are available all across Hawaii and worn by visitors and locals alike.

Now, my trip to Hawaii wouldn't be complete without buying an aloha shirt to take home with me, so I need your help.  Which shirt should I buy?  Here are the choices:

Green shirt

Red shirt

Black shirt

Blue shirt


12 comments:

  1. Definitely the red one or the blue one. The more colourful the better!!! D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While a certain someone might say the black shirt is the most esthetically pleasing, I am all about the green shirt. Look forward to seeing you when you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blue becomes you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like black and green...so I think you should buy blue or red....they really "say" Hawaii!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the blue one.

    XOXO
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for Green, that's my fave one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is for the BLUE one!

    XOXO
    Mommy P

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue shirt looks very U'i, mahalo for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We vote for the blue one

    Carolyn and Ewan MacBain

    ReplyDelete
  10. The BLUE one for sure!!!! I'll lend you my pink ukelele when you get home....yeah....you'll be home soon.
    Just dropped a bundle at Kohl's....love that store!

    XO Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 votes for blue (Elliot, Connor and I). Although Elliot was very close to choosing the red one! Obviously you're not in Hawaii anymore, so are you going to show us a follow up post where we get to see the winning shirt?

    Hope Mexico is fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails