Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Colourful Day in Kuala Lumpur

Being back in a big city after all that quiet time in Phuket has taken its toll on me.  I am exhausted.  So today I went in search of some peace and quiet, and I found it at Sri Maha Mariamman Temple.

Hidden among the busy streets of Kuala Lumpur, I see some peace and quiet.
This beautiful temple stands out from the buildings around it.  Its colourful statues, piled high in a pyramid formation (or is it a triangular prism?) above the doorway, welcome all visitors, Hindus and non-Hindus alike.  The temple was built in 1873 by workers that came to KL from India.  It is dedicated to the mother goddess Mariamman, and Hindus come here to make her offerings and to ask for her support and guidance.


This colourful pyramid sits ontop of the temple's entrance.
Before you go in you have to remember to take off your shoes (Hindus feel it is respectful to do this, and will even remove their shoes before entering someone's home or store).  Once you are inside the temple you will find many quiet places to sit, pray and even meditate.  You can close your eyes, take deep breaths and enjoy the smell of flowers and incense that scent the temple.  I sat in Sri Maha for a while and thought about my trip and all the temples I have already seen, and all the places I still have to explore (I wonder if there will be more temples?)

Do you ever meditate or enjoy some quiet time?  What are some things you like to think about when you are sitting quietly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails