Sunday, November 14, 2010

Breakfast at the Market

The market is a busy place where you can find local goods for sale.  Everything from fruit to flowers.
Every Saturday morning in Honolulu there is a Farmer’s Market that attracts visitors from all across the island of Oahu.  You can buy coffee, chocolate, fruit, vegetables, baked goods and just about any other delicious food you can think of.  It was a great place to start the day. 
I had a truly organic Hawaiian breakfast, an açai bowl.  Açai is a berry native to Brazil, but it grows beautifully in the tropical Hawaiian climate.  An açai bowl is when you take açai pulp and freeze it making a yummy berry sorbet.  You top this with granola, flax seed, and bananas (all organic and all local) and call it a breakfast.
A fresh breakfast I would love to have everyday.
Also exciting were the K­alua pork sliders on hand made by the students from the Culinary Institute of the Pacific.  I just had to support the students and their stall so I bought two sandwiches.  I could have spent all day eating my way through the market, but there was a beach calling my name.
The purple taro bun makes this Kalua pork slider extra special.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. P - Don't forget your sunscreen on the beach in Honolulu. I am sure the sun is very hot down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mr. P, see if you can check out Punahou school. It's where President Obabma went to school growing up in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this chatter about acai explains a dream I had about this weekend. I remarked that you look so healthy. I'm guessing you were having your yummy breakfast

    One last question.
    Why is the bun purple? Is it some kind of spread that is put on the bun or is that colour the bun itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye - yes, acai is considered a "super" food...full of good stuff for you...which might explain why I look so healthy?

    Also, the bun is purple because the baker used taro root in the recipe. Taro is like a potato, but has a slightly different texture, taste and in this case colour...as they can be purple (just like potatoes can be too).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails